A novel chemistry platform that targets toxic protein mis‑assembly in neurodegenerative and metabolic diseases.
How It Works
By design, the Pangomer analogue binds to a specific region of the protein target to block mis-assembly and propagation of toxic forms.
Special features of PangomersTM
- Fold to a defined structure dictated by hydrogen bonds and stabilized with buried surface.
- Enable water-soluble Pangomers to pass quickly, slowly or not-at-all across live cell-membranes via chemically tunable refolding dynamics.
- Include independent surfaces enabling multiple functions to be optimized on a single analogue.
- Bend protein targets to achieve specificity, especially in unstructured disease targets.
Pangolin Therapeutics’ Market Potential
The initial focus of the Pangomer approach is on neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. There are many opportunities for expansion into other classes of disease.
A Pangomer analogue optimized for selectivity to non-amyloid forms of islet amyloid polypeptide (IAPP) shows good pharmacological properties in a mouse model of Type II Diabetes.
Outcomes of initial research show promise in the development of:
- First-in-class drugs with the potential for disease modification.
- Diverse pipeline of assets in areas of high medical need that can help drive initial funding via collaboration and licensing.
Meet the Leadership
Pangolin Therapeutics is led by an experienced team that understands the business of science.
Enrique Alvarez Sotomayor, DMV, MA
Co-Founder, Senior VP Research and Development
- 20-year Biotech & Pharma Pre-Clinical Expert
Susan Froshauer, PhD
Chief Executive Officer
- 30-year Biotech & Pharma Drug Discovery Scientist & Business Executive
Andrew Miranker, PhD
Co-Founder, Scientific Advisory Board Chair
- 20-year Computational Design, Biophysics & Biochemistry Leader
- Professor, Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry, Yale University
Pangolin Therapeutics is supported by an accomplished Scientific Advisory Board led by Dr. Miranker:
Peter Farina, PhD
- Expertise: Organic chemistry, pharmaceutical R&D; 28 years of experience
- Senior Vice President of Development, Boehringer Ingelheim NA
Carolyn Fredericks, MD
- Expertise: Imaging, neurodegenerative diseases
- Assistant Professor, Department Neurology, clinician, Yale School of Medicine
Andrew Hamilton, PhD, FRS
- Expertise: Protein mimetic chemistry
- Professor of Chemistry and President, New York University
Richard Kibbey, MD/PhD
- Expertise: Islet biology, Type 2 Diabetes, clinician
- Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology & Cellular & Molecular Physiology, Yale University
Liz Rhoades, PhD
- Expertise: Biophysical chemistry of disordered proteins; 16+ years in Parkinson’s and TBI
- Professor of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania
James Summers, PhD
- Expertise: Organic chemistry, neurodegenerative disease R&D; 32 years of pharma experience
- 20 clinical candidates in neurodegenerative diseases
- Vice President of Neuroscience Research, AbbVie